You’ve served us. Now, let us serve you.
Columbia College Hollywood is proud to welcome students who have served our country through military service, and their dependents. Recognized as a top military friendly college that supports veterans, we’re dedicated to helping veterans and their dependents achieve their educational and career goals.
We are a proud member of the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement program, approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veteran Education. At Columbia College Hollywood, you will find a close-knit community of students, faculty, and staff committed to your success. In addition to GI Bill® benefits, federal financial aid is available to qualified students.
Applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty, or members of the National Guard or Reserves are exempt from paying the application fee when you apply online via our website.
The Veteran Services Office at Columbia College Hollywood serves as a liaison between Veteran students and the Department of Veteran Affairs. The office is equipped to assist Veteran students with all areas of Columbia College Hollywood including explaining VA benefits, evaluating previous academic record and educational training, and referrals to community-based organizations. We also support the nonprofit LA-based group, Veterans in Film and Television.
Steps to Receiving VA Benefits
1. Apply for VA education benefits by applying through the VA office. You can access the VA application and get an estimate of your benefits by clicking here. If you have not received VA benefits in the past, use VA Form 22-1990. If you are discharged, also submit a copy of the DD Form-214. If you are applying as a spouse or dependent, use VA Form 22-5490. If you have received VA education benefits at a different school in the past and are transferring your benefits to Columbia College Hollywood, use VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). If you are a Chapter 35 spouse of dependent, use VA Form 22-5495. If you’re unsure of what form to complete or need more information, please click here.
2. Receive your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA which confirms your eligibility for education benefits and specifies the Chapter(s) under which you are eligible. Provide a copy of your COE to the VA Certifying Official at Columbia College Hollywood.
3. Apply for admission to Columbia College Hollywood and receive notification of your acceptance.
4. Once registration opens each quarter, complete your registration for classes. Be certain to register for all classes you intend to be enrolled for the quarter and have made any schedule changes to ensure accuracy in the school certification process.
School Certification Process
Certification informs the VA that the student is registered for classes, the total number of units in which the student is registered, and the amount of tuition and fees charged to the student. Full-time status is 12 or more units, and part-time status is 8-11 units.
VA Certifying Official
SCO – Veteran’s Benefits
VA Programs/Chapters and Approximate Months of Entitlements
- Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) – students are generally eligible for 36 months of entitlement.
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab and Employment
- Chapter 32 Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) – months of entitlement and payment rate for VEAP will depend on the amount contributed to the VEAP account.
- Chapter 33 Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®
- Chapter 35 Dependent’s Educational Assistance (DEA) – dependents of eligible service members are entitled to 45 months of benefits.
- Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill®-SR (MGIB-SR) – eligibility is for up to 36 months of entitlement.
- Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – up to 36 months of entitlement is generally provided and payment rates vary depending on length of service.
VETERANS ADMINISTRATION REGIONAL OFFICE
11000 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90024
General Benefits Information 800/827-1000
Education Benefits Status 888/442-4551